Monday, October 12, 2009

World Senior Games

I have a new found appreciation for Sports Photographers!I was asked to be a photographer for the Huntsman World Senior Games, so I spent last week in St. George photographing different events. I had a great time interacting with the "old folks," and I learned a lot about sports photography as well.Each sport produced different challenges for capturing great shots, including high speed motion, bad lighting (indoor, dim, and flourescent),and on top of that, all shots are straight out of the camera...ZERO editing.But despite the challenges shooting the super fast cyclists, under-water swimmers, and the jumping basketball and volleyball players, I managed to get some shots that I was pleased with, and the athletes were as well. Anytime they saw a picture with their feet in the air, they'd love it and say something to the likes of "sweet action shot!" Because "old men can jump." :) They were fun. Here are a few more of my favorites. Isn't this guy awesome? I was seriously wow-ed and inspired by these senior athletes. They were quite impressive. Some were 55 and looked much younger, and some were 95 and looked just that! :)I loved snapping their picture right after they finished their race.Doesn't his face just say it all? May we all be as energetic as they are when we are "seniors."

5 comments:

Cormorant said...

Those look great, Jill. I can't imagine having that challenge--but you did really well with it!

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

That is awesome! I'd love to be that active now, but I am so no athletic. You did a fabulous job!

Lombardo Family said...

Holy Cow that is so inspiring! What GREAT pictures Jill. Such a fun thing to witness I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Good times, GREAT shots!

Cammie said...

Wow! Ok, I need to start to swim again...it looks so fun!